USA considers shooting down N.Korea missile tests


USA considers shooting down N.Korea missile tests

A US official said the projectile "blew up nearly immediately", adding the type of missile North Korea was testing was still being assessed.

"We want to see North Korea abandon its reckless path of the development of nuclear weapons, and also its continual use and testing of ballistic missiles is unacceptable".

Trump wrote Sunday on Twitter that China was working with the United States on "the North Korea problem".

Pence on Monday had traveled to the tense zone dividing the two Koreas, where he warned North Korea's leaders that after years of testing the USA and South Korea with its nuclear ambitions, "the era of strategic patience is over".

Pence's statement came just two days after the North Korean government conducted a huge display of prototype intercontinental ballistic missiles during a military parade observing the 105th birthday of the communist state's late founding leader and "eternal president" Kim Il-sung in the capital Pyongyang on April 15.

JAPAN Pence puts Japan on notice that Washington wants results "in the near future" from talks it hopes will open markets to USA goods, adding that the dialogue could lead to negotiations on a two-way trade deal. Pence's trip has so far been dominated by concerns over North Korea.

"Potential partners in oil and gas development, firms that might sell generation or substation equipment to the DPRK, transmission system software vendors, or any number of other businesses that might sell goods or services into the DPRK energy sector would certainly have to approach the DPRK with more than the usual amount of care, given that they know that the United States is looking closely at companies trading with the DPRK", David Von Hippel, a senior researcher at the Nautilus Institute for Security and Sustainability told NK News.

"If we notice any sign of assault on our sovereignty, our army will launch merciless military strikes against the U.S. aggressors, wherever they may exist, from the remote United States lands to the American military bases on the Korean Peninsula, such as those of Japan and elsewhere". Pence reiterated that "all options are on the table" to deal with threat and said that any use of nuclear weapons by Pyongyang would be met with "an overwhelming and effective response".

"[North Korea] is ready to react to any mode of war desired by the U.S.", Kim In Ryong, North Korea's deputy ambassador to the United Nations, said in Panmunjom, North Korea. "We are with you 100 per cent".

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said, "We know the situation is tense.The more tense things are, the more calm we need to be to find the opportunities and possibilities for dialogue".

Speaking at the event, Abe said that Japan also hopes for peaceful dialogue with Pyongyang, "but at the same time, dialogue for the sake of dialogue is valueless".

"I can see that the United States is also emphasizing and reaffirming their willingness for a political and diplomatic solution". They agree it's their first choice.

The next step would be to bring home the 54,000 US troops stationed in Japan and another 25,000 troops in South Korea.

South Korea's acting president, Hwang Kyo-ahn, at a meeting with top officials on Thursday, repeatedly called for the military and security ministries to maintain vigilance.