Stephen Colbert Shreds 'Self-Righteous Landfill Of Angry Garbage' Bill O'Reilly


Stephen Colbert Shreds 'Self-Righteous Landfill Of Angry Garbage' Bill O'Reilly

"When we look at data, at what programs people report watching, you just don't find people who watch Bill O'Reilly and nothing else on Fox", Cassino said. During his vacation, his show had been hosted by a rotating cast of substitutes, including Dana Perino, former spokeswoman for president George W. Bush. This announcement, from 21st Century Fox, comes weeks after a New York Times report on the settlements of O'Reilly's sexual harassment lawsuits.

(AP Photo/Richard Drew, File).

During an appearance on Fox News' newly-branded "The Factor", former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee use a poorly-timed analogy to describe Donald Trump's apparent inability to "get a fair shake from the media", comparing it with one's inability to "kiss a woman leaning away from you".

The blunt, loud-talking O'Reilly has weathered controversy in the past, including other allegations of sexual impropriety, but the latest round hit the Fox news empire in the pocketbook as more than more than 50 top-drawer companies have pulled their ads from the show.

Yet the allegations against O'Reilly fit into an uncomfortable narrative for the cable news network.

Walsh does not have a legal claim against O'Reilly due to the statute of limitations on harassment cases in NY and California, but she did report the matter to the human resources hotline of the company earlier this month. "I can't believe this is still going on".

O'Reilly, who was with the network for 20 years, said he was proud of his time at Fox.

Paul Janensch, a former newspaper editor and retired journalism professor at Quinnipiac University, said it came down to money.

His show generated 178 million dollars (£140m) in advertising revenue in 2015, according to Kantar Media.

The New York Times reported April 1 that five women had been paid a total of $13 million to keep quiet about unpleasant encounters with O'Reilly, who has denied any wrongdoing.

Following the memo, Fox announced "Tucker Carlson Tonight" will begin airing an hour earlier to fill the time slot vacated byO'Reilly.

It also said the decision "follows an extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel". Shares in Twenty-First Century Fox were down less than 1 per cent at $30.50 in Wednesday afternoon trading.

O'Reilly lost his job the same day he was photographed in Rome shaking the hand of Pope Francis.

"It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims", he said.

"The real subtext to all this is that Roger Ailes, the founding chairman, the creative drive behind the success of Fox, was forced out last summer for sexual harassment".

Another of the settlement recipients, Rebecca Gomez Diamond, who had hosted a show on the business network, had also recorded conversations with O'Reilly. Since then, another unnamed woman at Fox News came forward to accuse O'Reilly of sexual harassment this week.

O'Reilly, 67, had ruled the "no spin zone" on television with a quick smile and an even quicker temper. The only way to know for sure is to be on the inside; from an outside point of view, the appearance is deeply troubling. O'Reilly said those slaves were well-fed and had "decent lodgings".

Representatives at Fox News and its parent Twenty-First Century Fox Inc were not immediately available for comment.