Philippe Coutinho hands transfer request to Liverpool


Philippe Coutinho hands transfer request to Liverpool

It added: "Philippe will remain a member of Liverpool Football Club when the summer window closes".

The Catalan giants have already seen two bids rejected by the Merseyside club for Coutinho, the most recent being worth £90 million.

Coutinho's demand came on a dramatic day for Liverpool, which started with Fenway Sports Group, the club's American owners, issuing a statement to say they would not sanction the 25-year-old's sale at any price and considered the matter closed.

However, a statement issued via the club's official website has made it clear they fully expect Coutinho to be a Liverpool player when the transfer window closes at 2300BST on August 31.

Barcelona is looking for a replacement for Neymar, who was sold to Paris Saint-Germain for a world-record fee of 222 million euros ($262 million) last week.

Also on Friday, Sky Sports News received a statement said to be from a member of Coutinho's family.

Barcelona tabled a £90million bid for Coutinho that was rejected earlier this week, as Liverpool attempt to fend off interest in their star playmaker. Liverpool don't want to sell Emre Can.

Coutinho, who scored 14 goals in all competitions last season, signed a new five-year deal in January that did not include a release clause.

Souness believes the timing of the Coutinho saga has left Klopp in a sticky situation, with Liverpool set to open their Premier League season away at Watford on Saturday, with the crucial Champions League play-off tie against Hoffenheim to follow.

Equally there is anger on the club's part that Coutinho submitted a transfer request having been told in face-to-face meetings with the owners and Klopp that such a move would not be entertained.

And, sometimes, the less said the better - unfortunately, he's not our only problem right now.

The German said: "I can't keep players happy". It's like I said: the club is bigger than anybody.