Security forces were mobilized following a deadly terrorist attack Thursday afternoon, where authorities say a jihadist used a van to target people in one of the Catalonia capital's most popular streets and managed to escape the scene by foot.
The driver abandoned the van and fled on Thursday after speeding along a section of Las Ramblas, the most famous boulevard in Barcelona, leaving a trail of dead and injured among the crowds of tourists and local residents.
The Daily Telegraph reports that a second terrorist attack took place in the coastal resort town of Cambrils hours after the first attack in Barcelona.
Authorities say the victims come from at lest 24 different countries and include one American who was living in Spain.
Some 34 nationalities were among nearly 130 people wounded in the attacks in Las Ramblas and in Cambrils, which lies around 70 miles to the south west.
An emergency services spokesman said 130 people were injured in the two attacks.
Video footage shows the man pushing the baby's pram out of the way of the terrorist attacker's van with an inch to spare, as it speeds past down Las Ramblas.
Mr Trapero had earlier said the investigation was focusing on a house in Alcanar, southwest of Barcelona, which was razed by an explosion shortly before midnight on Wednesday. In Cambrils, five attackers in an Audi A3 killed one woman, injured six, and critically injured seven more people.
"The executors of the Barcelona attack were soldiers of the Islamic State", Amaq said, quoted by SITE.
Police said Friday they suspect 12 people of involvement in the attacks: the five who were killed, four who were arrested and three who have been identified but who remain at large. Cops are now searching for Driss Oukabir's brother Moussa.
"We work with the hypothesis that the suspects were preparing both attacks for some time in this building of Alcanar".
"I thought I was watching a film, one of them horror films", Davies said.
Two suspects, one from Morocco, one from the Spanish enclave of Melilla, were arrested in connection with the Barcelona attack, Catalan Police Chief Josep Lluis Trapero said.