After announcing in April its plans to axe the iconic video gaming system, Nintendo officials said Tuesday gamers would be able to purchase new shipments of the retro console and games next summer.
Nintendo attributed the decision to stop production to "limited resources".
Nintendo has announced it will relaunch production of the popular NES Classic Edition console released a year ago. With the recent announcement of the SNES Classic Mini, and the nearly immediate selling out of pre-order stock, many people were expecting a similar situation.
The good news is that if you miss out on the first rounds of shipments at the end of this month - or struggle to get one in the proceeding months - you can foreseeable get the "new" retro console next year. With pre-orders already sold out, a similar shortage could very well be on the horizon, although the company reassured buyers that a much more substantial amount of consoles had been manufactured for the SNES.
In addition to this the Japanese firm has said that it will ship additional NES Classic Edition consoles in 2018.
"Fans have shown their unbridled enthusiasm for these Classic Edition systems, so Nintendo is working to put many more of them on store shelves", the company said in a statement.
We'll also bring the Nintendo Classic Mini: NES back to Europe next summer. It features 21 built-in games like "Super Mario World" and "The Legend of Zelda". Production ceased at the end of a year ago, and a lot people were understandably upset with Nintendo for miscalculating demand. It will also include the previously unreleased game Star Fox 2 as well as two controllers.