Another quake rocks southern Mexico

Another quake rocks southern Mexico

The messages on Garcia's phone, seen by Reuters shortly after they were received on Wednesday, could have been delayed due to erratic cell phone coverage in parts of Mexico City after the quake, or the fact that Pacheco's phone signal was blocked by the tons of concrete that kept her trapped in the collapsed building.When asked whether WhatsApp messages can be delivered hours after they were sent in an area without good cellphone coverage, a spokeswoman for the company confirmed it is possible.Pacheco, a recruiter for a human resources and accounting firm, said she sent the messages shortly after the 7.1 magnitude natural disaster struck at 1:14 p.m. on Tuesday."Those messages helped them know more or less where we were located", Pacheco said on Friday from her hospital bed, her voice weak. More than half the dead - 167 - perished in the capital, while another 73 died in the state of Morelos, 45 in Puebla, 13 in Mexico State, six in Guerrero and one in Oaxaca.

After several days of searching, rescuers had been finding more corpses than survivors before labors were suspended, and frustration was mounting at what some said were insufficient efforts by the government to save people and hand out aid.

The Guardian reports that the quake hit on Tuesday afternoon shortly after 1 p.m. local time.

U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist Paul Caruso said the new temblor was an aftershock of the 8.1 quake, and after a jolt of that size even buildings left standing can be more vulnerable.

In Oaxaca, some highways and a bridge that had been damaged during the September 8 quake collapsed, Mexico's federal police said.

Volunteer rescue workers wait in the rain near a collapsed building for a chance to help in the search for survivors in Mexico City on September 21, 2017, two days after a strong quake hit central Mexico.

At the site of an office building that collapsed Tuesday and where an around-the-clock search for survivors was still ongoing, rescuers briefly evacuated from atop the pile of rubble after the morning quake before returning to work.

The four calmed each other as the hours passed. "I feel afraid even when a vehicle passes by", said Dulce Bueno, who came Saturday morning with her husband and daughter to the hard-hit Condesa neighborhood.

"Every so often we hear the alarm. you say, well, it is God's will".

Diana Pacheco texted her husband, told him where they were. "She's a very, very special dog", said Israel Arauz, her handler for the past two years. He said he was overwhelmed by the pain of a broken bone and anxious his life-sustaining air would run out.

Referring to signs that a person may still be alive under the wreckage of one of the schools buildings, the deputy navy secretary said there was a photo of a trail of blood that appeared to indicate that individual had dragged himself or herself along the ground.