Mets C has broken hand, leaving team thin behind plate


Mets C has broken hand, leaving team thin behind plate

The 27-year-old Realmuto - making just $2.9 million and under contractual control through 2020 - also has been on the disabled list to open the season with a back contusion, and there are strong doubts that the Mets even have the match of prospect depth to swing such a deal.

In the meantime, with Kevin Plawecki also on the disabled list with a broken hand, Jose Lobaton and Tomas Nido will share catching duties in NY.

The Mets also called up Jose Lobaton from Triple-A Las Vegas to help share the load.

"I think right now we want to give these two an opportunity to see what they can do... But that certainly could change". Still, the Mets returned home with an eight-game winning streak and a 10-1 start, the best in franchise history.

D'Arnaud went on the disabled list Wednesday for the fifth consecutive year and was transferred to the 60-day DL on Friday. D'Arnaud was diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament earlier this week and is set to undergo Tommy John surgery next week, which will sidelined him for the remainder of the season. "I just couldn't believe it, but what can you do?"

Travis d'Arnaud will miss the rest of the 2018 season.

.

The Mets said before Friday's game against Milwaukee that Plawecki was going to the DL, retroactive to Thursday. The Mets, however, said a follow-up MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NY on Thursday revealed the fracture.

Meanwhile, Mets left-hander Jason Vargas (broken bone in right hand) pitched a simulated game Thursday in Port St. Lucie, Florida, and probably will have another simulated outing before a likely minor league rehabilitation start.