'Shark Incident' Puts Margaret River Event on Hold

'Shark Incident' Puts Margaret River Event on Hold

St John Ambulance spokesman Dennis Bertoldo said the man, in his 30s, was surfing at Gracetown today when he was attacked.

A man in his 30s has been bitten by a shark near Gracetown in Western Australia's South West, with organisers temporarily suspending the nearby Margaret River Pro global surfing competition.

The incident reportedly happened at Cobblestones, south of Gracetown and Cowaramup, near Margaret River, about three hours south of Perth.

In a statement posted to its Facebook page following the incident, the WSL said it had chose to suspend the competition for an hour after "discussions with local authorities".

Two men have been separately attacked by a shark in Western Australia, with one managing to walk to an ambulance and the other bodysurfing back to shore where friends applied a tourniquet to stem his bleeding.

"We have been alerted of a shark incident that occurred near Gracetown", the tweet said.

Surfing WA event director Justin Majeks says Mr Travaglini is a "valued work crew member" at the Margaret River Pro. "There was a lot more thrashing around".

"It was a large shark and from the way it was behaving, it would have been a white pointer".

The league added: "Surfer and staff safety are top priorities for the WSL and when competition resumes, further enhanced safety measures, including ski and drone presence, will be added to the event's mitigation protocols".

A spokeswoman for the event said the surf contest was under way at Margaret River's main break at the time of the attack. Chris Boyd, 35, was killed at nearby Umbies surf break in 2013.

"We're sending our thoughts and prayers to him and his family during this hard time and we're working together to do everything we can to support him and his family", Mr Majeks said.

A surfer mauled by a shark Monday off southwestern Australia managed to swim to shore despite serious injuries to both of his legs, an official and a witness said.

The group then gave the victim first aid on the beach before paramedics arrived on scene and airlifted the man to Perth Hospital via helicopter 270 km north.