Amid a contentious summit with NATO leaders, President Donald Trump reportedly spent part of a dinner Wednesday night bragging to some of the United States' greatest allies about his unprecedented meeting with North Korea's Kim Jong Un.
However, officials say it could be months before excavations can begin and years until the remains are identified.
Roh Kyu-deok, a spokesman for South Korea's Foreign Ministry, said the South Korean government is "constantly in contact with the US counterpart" about progress of the talks on war remains repatriation, but declined to comment on any details, saying that all inquiries on the issue be directed to the USA authorities.
North Korea did not take kindly to the content of Pompeo's visit, which covered what the US definition of denuclearization is and what would be needed for sanctions relief. USA investigators collected a further 230 boxes of bones and material in a decade of digging.
Pompeo's reception in Pyongyang last week was chillier than during his previous two trips to the North Korean capital and he didn't meet with Kim Jong Un.
The Trump administration has insisted that progress is being made.
The president went so far as to claim his summit with Kim garnered more media attention than even the Oscars, according to The Washington Post on Thursday citing an unnamed official with knowledge of the dinner in Brussels.
FILE - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un meets with China's President Xi Jinping, in Dalian, China in this undated photo released on May 9, 2018 by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
Trump made similar accusations in May, noting that North Korea's previously conciliatory tone towards the scheduled summit between Kim and Trump seemed to change overnight following Kim's meeting with Chinese communist leader Xi Jinping in Dalian, China.
South Korea's urbanisation is one reason why more than a 1000 American service members are unaccounted for, said McKeague.
On Monday, Trump addressed the dispute on Twitter.
According to estimates from the Pentagon, 7,700 US troops are still unaccounted for from the Korean War.
The Trump administration's latest announcement to slap tariffs on an extra $200 billion of Chinese imports has sparked an outcry from China, whose commerce ministry said on Wednesday the USA move is "unacceptable" and hurts America's own interests, China and the rest of the world. "They have continued to slander South Korea relentlessly since that time".
Trump told a crowd of supporters a week later that the remains of 200 Americans "have been sent back".
Trump also announced that the USA would suspend "war games" with South Korea.