Strikes in northwest Syria town kill at least 5


ANTAKYA, Turkey-Fighting returned to the besieged Syrian city of Aleppo on Sunday following the end of a three- day humanitarian cease-fire that expired with no planned aid deliveries or medical evacuations.

Moscow had extended the unilateral "humanitarian pause" into a third day until 1600 GMT Saturday but announced no further renewal, as fierce fighting broke in several areas along the front line dividing the city, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported.

In the northern city of Aleppo, government forces shelled eastern rebel-held neighborhoods Saturday night marking an apparent end to a lull announced by Russian Federation.

As hundreds of wounded civilians have been stranded in opposition-held areas of Aleppo, around 150 people rallied in central London on Saturday calling for Britain to take decisive action to end the five-year war in Syria. But the rebels rejected the offer to evacuate and no evacuations were seen along the corridors created by the Syrian government.

In northern Syria, Syrian rebels backed by Turkish tanks advanced under intense bombardment toward a major northern town held by Kurdish-led rebel forces.

Forces aligned with Assad dramatically intensified attacks in recent weeks, throttling a cease-fire brokered for the city last month by Russian Federation and the United States.

In order to renew the pause, "our opponents must ensure appropriate behaviour by the anti-government groups that in particular sabotaged the medical evacuation that was intended during the humanitarian pause", Ryabkov said. Activist al-Halabi also believes that the prospect of a rebel offensive "pushed the regime to accelerate its battles", in Aleppo city, opening new fronts and "drawing heavy reinforcements from the south Aleppo countryside".

Government artillery shelled the strategically important village of Khan Touman, which overlooks the highway connecting Aleppo and government-held cities in the center of the country, the activist-run Shahba Press reported Sunday.

"We have warned civilians to stay away from regime positions", Zinki's Hamaher told Syria Direct on Monday.

More than 400,000 people have been killed in the conflict, according to an estimate by UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura.

Russia's deputy foreign minister has said that it is not now considering a new truce in the Syrian city of Aleppo after a brief ceasefire ended at the weekend.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in an interview aired on Saturday that the intervention was meant to "liberate" Syria and keep Assad in power.

In the wake of the mounting humanitarian catastrophe in Syria, French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault has called for an end of the "massive bombing raids" by Russian Federation and Syrian government.

Speaking during a joint news conference with his Turkish counterpart in Ankara Monday, Ayrault said: "it's the only way that humanitarian aid can reach populations that really need it; it's the only that that the negotiations can resume".

Asked if the deployment of a Russian aircraft carrier into the eastern Mediterranean was intended as a warning for the US against striking Assad's forces, Peskov said Russia already has sufficient military assets in Syria.