Scaramucci on Trump Charlottesville statement: The president "needed to be much harsher"


Scaramucci on Trump Charlottesville statement: The president

Mr Scaramucci said the events should be called terrorism and that the President needed to be "much harsher as it related to the white supremacists" in his statement on the violence.

But he said the president was still struggling to get his message across as the administration battled leaks.

"I wouldn't have recommended that statement", Scaramucci said of Trump's comments on Saturday, which were widely criticized for not singling out white supremacists to the point where the White House amended them later Sunday morning.

He went on to say that the president needed to bring in more loyalists, rather than party apparatchiks, to his team to drive through his agenda.

While Trump used the word "bigotry" in his remarks, he drew criticism from members of both political parties for not specifically rebuking white nationalists or supremacists.

Interviewer George Stephanopoulos asked him who he was referred to, but Mr Scaramucci said only that he had already "named some names".

"He has to move away from that sort of "Bannon-bart" nonsense", Scaramucci said, apparently combining Bannon's name with Breitbart, the website that Bannon ran before joining Trump's campaign previous year.

"I wouldn't have given that statement", Scaramucci told Stephanopoulos.

Scaramucci said no matter who's in the White House, Trump just does what he wants, though "I think he respects bluntness and he respects candor". And so if he does that, he'll have a very successful legislative agenda that he'll be able to execute.

Scaramucci said the president can't be told what to do, but said those around him should "give him direct advice" and "be blunt with him".

Scaramucci's appearance on "This Week" was his first major public interview since being fired last month after launching into a profanity-laced rant on a call with New Yorker reporter Ryan Lizza.

Scaramucci, who held the position as Trump's top spokesman for 11 days, gave ABC his first interview since he was sacked at the end of July by Gen. John Kelly, the new White House chief of staff.