New emergency warning issued for bushfire in Sydney's southwest


New emergency warning issued for bushfire in Sydney's southwest

The RFS cautioned that while the threat had eased, residents in the areas of Voyager Point, Pleasure Point, Sandy Point, Alfords Point, Barden Ridge, Illawong, Menai and Bangor should continue to monitor the situation and be prepared to activate bushfire survival plans should conditions change.

Mr Fitzsimmons said it was possible that winds could strengthen again and elevate the fire danger.

Fire conditions eased later in the day, allowing firefighters to step up efforts to bring the blaze under control. "There were reported gusts of about 60 kilometres an hour so they'll be reduced", he said yesterday. Residents in these areas should shelter in place.

More than 500 firefighters faced walls of fire, fanned by 70 km/h wind gusts on the city's southern fringe on Sunday and through the night.

"It will be a tough week for firefighters because unfortunately, what we really need is a meaningful rain right across this fire ground and right across other parts of NSW", he said.

"Most of those houses that burnt down were not from the fire front, it was from a spot fire or from a burning ember catching on fire on somebody's roof."

The fire resulted in hundreds of people being evacuated from their homes on Saturday evening with flames nearly reaching properties at Holsworthy and Wattle Grove and spot fires later threatening Sutherland and Menai.

The blaze was downgraded from watch-and-act to advice about 2am on Monday.

Wind speeds are expected to be similar today.

Fire and Rescue NSW commissioner Paul Baxter said it was "remarkable" there had been no major loss of property, and said community co-operation with authorities had been invaluable.

"It is absolutely miraculous that we have not lost any lives and virtually no property and this is because of the hard work and dedication and heroism of our fire services", the state's acting Emergency Services Minister Mark Speakman told reporters Monday.

"We're certainly looking to maximise the amount of time we have them here".

NSW Police have declared the area a crime scene but the RFS says it's too early to declare if the blaze was deliberately lit.